Sydney Science Festival returns from 10−20 August 2017 with 11 huge days of talks by some of the world’s best researchers, hands-on workshops, exhibitions, panel discussions and events for the whole family.
We’re inviting you to be part of this year’s program by submitting a proposal to have your event included in this year’s Festival. If you are planning to produce an event, talk, workshop, tour or exhibition, we want to know about it. Last year the Festival featured more than 100 events across Sydney – from the CBD to Manly to Parramatta – and was attended by over 62,000 people. With your help, this year’s Festival will be even bigger.
It’s FREE to submit an event proposal and there are plenty of benefits to being part of this well coordinated and promoted festival. All we ask, in the interest of great science engagement, is that your event meets a simple criteria around relevance, quality and feasibility.
Expressions of interest close 10 March 2017.
Get your Sydney Science Festival login and submit your event proposal today
Your event will be:
- Supported by a team of highly-experienced science program producers based at Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences and Australian Museum
- Promoted through an integrated print, digital and outdoor marketing, advertising and publicity campaign across Sydney
- Featured on the Festival website, with individual program partners profiled
- Festival goers using the website will be able to add your event to their festival calendar, share it with friends and see where in Sydney your event is located
- Relevance and link to science, technology and innovation
- Science, technology, engineering or mathematics should be a significant component of the event and be based on active research and current issues
- Event should involve relevant experts: scientists, researchers, engineers, technologists, mathematicians, innovators
- Quality and/or originality of approach
- Event should be of high quality and/or highly original in its approach and should involve organisations and experts that have credibility
- Event should be open to and accessible to the general public. Specialist events are also encouraged if they are for a specialist or professional audience external to your organisation. Free events are encouraged.
- Feasibility of program
- Event should be highly likely to succeed by having all or as many details worked out as possible
- Event organisers accept all responsibility for the event, including organisation, content, staffing, etc.
- Event should be located in Sydney. Online events designed specifically for a Sydney audience might also qualify.
- Event should occur during the Sydney Science Festival, 10-20 August 2017. Events that begin during the Festival but culminate after the Festival might be acceptable.
* The Program Selection Group reserves the right to reject any event for any reason.
Program Selection Group
The Festival Program Selection Group is comprised of representatives from the following organisations:
- Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences
- Australian Museum
- Inspiring Australia (NSW)
- Botanical Gardens and Centennial Parklands
Timeline for applications
Applications close on 10 March 2017.
About Sydney Science Festival in 2016:
- 232 individual events across Sydney presented by 65 partners
- Partners included Australian Museum, Sydney Living Museums, Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Parramatta Park Trust as well as City of Sydney and Ultimo Libraries, Redfern Community Centre and the Mount Annan Botanical Gardens
- Diverse showcase of scientific talent: 3 international speakers and more than 290 local researchers, scientists, engineers and science communicators
- Over 62,000 participants
- $1.7 million worth of media coverage
- Our audience:
- 58% female; 42% male
- 68% live in Sydney inner West, East and Northern suburbs
- 42% attended 2 or more events as part of the Festival
- Browse the full 2016 program
- View the Sydney Science Festival 2016 Final Report
If you’ve got any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the Sydney Science Festival team.
- Enquiries related to general event submissions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 9217 0349 (Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences)
- Enquiries related to school programs/submissions, email email@example.com or call (02) 9320 6389 (Australian Museum)