Celebrate the creativity and ingenuity of the maker community at the Powerhouse Museum for a full day of making, breaking and fixing.
Sydney’s makers will take over the Museum to showcase their latest innovations in digital fabrication, technology, food design and craft. Discover how Sydney’s makers are using new technologies and revitalising traditional woodworking and craft techniques.
Take part in hands-on activities, workshops, tours and talks, and learn what’s next in the exciting maker movement.
Join us for a smorgasbord of hands on activities and:
- Repair Café with The Bower. Bring along your broken electronics and learn how to revive them! Suggested items: kettles, headphones, coffee machines, toaster, radios, irons and other small electronics. The Repair Café runs from 11.00 am – 3.00 pm.
- Skill share – bring your skills to share and learn new ones including weaving, spinning, leatherworking, ceramics and more!
- Young Creators Conference – See some of our favourite projects from the Young Creators Conference, a showcase of the projects and passions of the next generation of local innovators
- Bring your tiny tinkerer and enjoy hands-on family activities
- Discover the unique creations of our many DIY Day partners! Our talented DIY Day community includes: Australian electric vehicle association, Art Cycle, Makerspace &company, Mathworks Australia, Microsoft, Mobile Makerspace, Sydney Modern Quilt Guild, Sydney Origami and the UNSW CubeSat Team.
MAAS DIY Day Talks & Workshops
To celebrate MAAS DIY Day at the Powerhouse Museum, we are presenting a range of talks and workshops on the day exploring the maker community.
The Process of Making
Saturday 19 August 2017, 2–4pm
$8–$25. Includes MAAS DIY Day
Hear the work rituals and methods of twelve talented creators, designers and engineers. Each presenter has five minutes to share their work in this explorative and conversational showcase.
Hands-on Upholstery Workshop
Saturday 19 August 2017, 11am–1.30pm
$67–$85. Includes MAAS DIY Day
Join renowned Sydney-based furniture designer Maaike Pullar in a dynamic, hands-on upholstery workshop. With all materials provided you will learn the basics of contemporary upholstery with this 2.5 hour taster.
Participants will learn professional skills and tips to work with contemporary upholstery materials including foam, wadding and a selection of upholstery fabrics. Take home an upholstered seat pad to convert the humble milk crate into a cushy stool.