Powerhouse Museum

Atoms in Atoms Out with Ruben Meerman

Event Workshop Families Kids
Book Now

People inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. This is common knowledge, but have you ever wondered how all those carbon atoms got into your body so you could breathe them back out? Where did that carbon come from? How does the ‘C’ get into ‘CO2’? Find out in the Atoms In Atoms Out Science Show, hosted by Ruben Meerman.

Ruben will trace the surprising journey every atom you eat, drink and inhale through the body, and reveals the overlooked role your lungs play in maintaining your weight. During this engaging 45 min show, you will learn about the role of atoms and metabolic energy in maintaining a healthy weight.

Ruben Meerman is a scientist, surfer, author and television presenter, known to a generation of Aussie kids as the ABC’s ‘Surfing Scientist’. His research, published in the British Medical Journal, revealed that 84% of human fat is metabolised to carbon dioxide, while the remaining 16% becomes water. He presents guest lectures about the biochemistry of food and fat metabolism in the UNSW School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences. His book ‘Big Fat Myths’ is published by Ebury Books (Random House Australia).

Please note children must be accompanied by an adult. Recommended for ages 7+

Tickets to this show include general admission to the Big Science Day at the Powerhouse Museum