Sydney Science Festival 2019
Expressions of interest for Sydney Science Festival are now open until 26 April 2019
Sydney Science Festival returns from 6–18 August 2019 with 13 huge days of talks by some of the world’s best researchers, hands-on workshops, exhibitions, panel discussions and family events.
If you are planning to produce a science-related event, talk, workshop, tour or exhibition, we would like to invite you to be part of Sydney Science Festival. Last year the Festival featured more than 200 events across Sydney and was attended by over 85,000 people. Read the 2018 Festival Report here.
The Festival accepts submissions for all kinds of events for diverse audiences, including talks for adults, workshops, citizen science events, hackathons, school events, networking events for scientists and industry, community events, large family events and more. Sydney Science Festival is proud to present diverse events for diverse audiences, whether you are a group of scientists eager to engage audiences with your research or a large organization hosting a high-profile speaker, we want to hear from you.
Expressions of interest close 26 April 2019.
Benefits of being part of Sydney Science Festival
- Support by a team of highly-experienced science program producers based at Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences and Australian Museum.
- Promotion through an integrated print, digital and outdoor marketing, advertising and publicity campaign across Sydney.
- Feature on the Festival website, with individual program partners profiled. Festival goers using the website will be able to add your event to their festival calendar, share it with friends and see where in Sydney your event is located.
- Clear link to science, technology and innovation with relevance to society and culture
- Science, technology, engineering or mathematics should be a significant component of the event and be based on active research and current issues.
- Event should involve relevant experts: scientists, researchers, engineers, technologists, mathematicians, innovators.
- Event should encourage dialogue between experts and your audience and foster understanding of the links between science, society and Sydney’s diverse culture.
- Quality and/or originality of approach
- Event should be of high quality and/or highly original in its approach and should involve organisations and experts that have credibility.
- Event should be open to and accessible to the general public. Specialist events are also encouraged if they are for a specialist or professional audience external to your organisation.
- Feasibility of program
- Event should be highly likely to succeed by having all or as many details worked out as possible.
- Event organisers accept all responsibility for the event, including organisation, content, staffing, etc.
- Event should be located in Sydney. Online events designed specifically for a Sydney audience might also qualify.
- Event should occur during the Sydney Science Festival, 6-18 August 2019. Events that begin during the Festival but culminate after the Festival are also eligible.
As part of our selection process any proposals that are engaging with Indigenous cultural heritage will be assessed by our Head of Indigenous Programs and Engagement in relation to the MAAS Australian Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property Protocol and MAAS Reconciliation Action Plan.
* The Program Selection Group reserves the right to reject any event for any reason.
Expressions of interest are invited from large scale presenters to apply for up to $25,000 towards events presented as part of Sydney Science Festival that have the potential to attract at least 3,000 people. For more information visit Inspiring Australia’s website or click here.
28 March 2019 Expressions of Interest Open
26 April 2019 Deadline for Expressions of Interest
1 May 2019 Successful applicants notified
10 May 2019 Deadline for Sydney Science Festival partners to finalise event information via online portal
17 June 2019 Launch of Sydney Science Festival Website
6 August 2019 First day of Sydney Science Festival
18 August 2019 Last day of Sydney Science Festival
9 September 2019 Festival partners provide evaluation and reporting attendance figures