Living Laboratory – Science in the GardenPresented by Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney
A free day of festivities at the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney celebrating all things science, with all types of activities for budding scientists.
Drop-in for hands-on science experiments and experiences with our botanists, view our science facilities and use the equipment, plus engage with our exciting partner science organisations! Activities on the day include:
- Children’s activities such as fossil-making, face-painting, microscope viewing and meeting Australian animals;
- Discover how Aboriginal people do science and sustainability with our Aboriginal Educators;
- ‘Lab stage’ talks, ‘Meet a Botanic Gardens scientist’ Q&As, and demonstrations;
- Behind-the-scenes tours of Botanic Gardens laboratories and spaces;
- Explore the Gardens through guided Garden walks and tours;
- Closing party activities for the Wild Thing Exhibition;
- Seed collecting and experiments;
- Microscope viewing of ‘weird & wonderful’ plants, lichens and fungi;
- Plus food trucks!
As well as providing stunning horticultural displays in a spectacular location, the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney is where world-leading plant scientists are embracing some of the most critical challenges facing humanity today. Preserving plant genetic diversity, restoring damaged ecosystems, helping revolutionise crop research and contributing to the global bank of medical knowledge, our Botanic Gardens are living labs, doing vital scientific work for today and for generations to come.
Living Laboratory is the day for everyone to celebrate science with us!
For easiest access, enter via the Woolloomooloo gate.
This event is supported by Inspiring Australia as part of National Science Week, and Foundation and Friends of the Botanic Gardens.