Since its launch in 2015, Sydney Science Festival has reached over 320,000 people through a curated program of talks by international researchers, hands-on workshops, exhibitions and events exploring critical areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
This year’s theme of Adaptation reflects how science enables society’s agile adaptation to the critical challenges facing humanity – spanning climate, waste, farming, food system, health and medical technology.
Be part of Sydney Science Festival
If you are considering producing a science talk, workshop, exhibition or other event within the 2020 Festival period and relating to Adaptation, we invite you to submit an Expression of Interest to have your event included as part of the Festival.
All information below will be used by the Sydney Science Festival selection committee to consider your event for inclusion in the 2020 Festival. Please ensure your submission reflects how your event addresses the SSF selection criteria:
- Clear link to science, technology and innovation with relevance to society and the Festival theme of Adaptation
- Science, technology, engineering or mathematics should be a significant component of the event and be based on active research and current issues.
- Interpret the theme of Adaptation in a creative and meaningful way.
- Event should involve relevant experts: scientists, researchers, engineers, technologists, mathematicians, innovators.
- Your event should encourage dialogue between experts and your audience and foster understanding of the links between science, society and Sydney’s diverse culture.
- Quality and/or originality of approach
- Event should be of high quality and/or highly original in its approach and should involve organisations and experts that have credibility.
- Event should be open to and accessible to the general public.
- Feasibility of program
- Event should be highly likely to succeed by having all or as many details worked out as possible.
- Event organisers accept all responsibility for the event, including organisation, content, staffing, etc.
- Event should be located in Sydney.
- Event must occur during the Sydney Science Festival, 13-23 August 2020. Events that begin during the Festival but culminate after the Festival are also eligible.
As part of our selection process any proposals that are engaging with Indigenous cultural heritage will be assessed by our Head of Indigenous Programs and Engagement in relation to the MAAS Australian Indigenous Cultural and Intellectual Property Protocol and MAAS Reconciliation Action Plan.
The Selection Committee reserves the right to reject any event for any reason.
|16 March 2020||Expressions of Interest Open|
|17 April 2020||Deadline for Expressions of Interest|
|24 April 2020||Successful applicants notified|
|8 May 2020||Deadline for presenters to finalise event information|
|Early June 2020||Launch of Sydney Science Festival Website|
|13 August 2020||First day of Sydney Science Festival|
|23 August 2020||Last day of Sydney Science Festival|
|31 August 2020||Festival partners provide evaluation and reporting attendance figures|